How Can We Help?

Need to manage or renew your policy or want more information on our products? You've come to the right place. Find the solution you need below.

Don't see what you’re looking for? Feel free to contact us.

Manage Your Policy

It's quick and easy to manage your existing liability insurance coverage. Complete the process online by providing your policy number and customer ID.

Manage Your Policy

Renew Online

Maintaining your coverage is right at your fingertips. Renew online now and keep yourself protected with the most comprehensive coverage for social workers, developed and overseen by social workers.

Renew Your Policy

Click Here to Renew Offline

Change Your Contact Information

Need to update your address or phone number? Click the button below to make your revisions online. Please be prepared to provide your policy number and customer ID.

Change Your Contact Information


Download the item that best suits your needs by clicking on one or more of the links below.

Frequently Asked Questions

Have a question? It may be addressed below. If not, feel free to contact us using our online form, or call 888.278.0038 Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. CST.

  1. What type of coverage do I have with NASW Risk Retention Group (RRG)?

    • Professional liability: Covers you for professional services provided as a social worker.
    • General liability: Protects you, your business, and your employees from claims involving bodily injury or property damage up to the limits of your policy.
    • Cyber liability: Covers you for loss or security breach of client data, including notification of affected individuals.

  2. What is an extended reporting period (ERP)?
    The extended reporting period (claims made) is an endorsement that increases the period of time a claim can be reported based on when the policy was in effect. Note: The occurrence policy does not require an ERP.

  3. I supervise interns. Can I cover them under my policy?
    Depending on eligibility and type of services performed, the interns may be covered under your policy. If not, they may be required to purchase their own policy.

  4. What is Supplemental Liability for Business Invitees?
    Supplemental liability covers bodily injury, personal injury, and property damage coverage for business invitees.

  5. What do the "Limits of Liability" mean?
    The first number (“Per Claim” or “Per Occurrence”) refers to the maximum amount that can be paid as damages for any single claim. The second number (“Aggregate”) refers to the total amount that can be paid for all claims during the policy period. Defense costs are unlimited and are not deducted from the limits of liability.

  6. Are there any export or legal restrictions?
    The information and materials provided on this website are intended for general reference only, and may not describe all of the terms, conditions, and exceptions applicable to the NASW RRG Plan Administrator’s products and services. All coverages are subject to the terms and conditions of the insurance policies issued. Coverage availability may vary by your individual circumstances and/or by additional minimum coverage limits that may be required within your state. The products and services offered on our website are only available in the jurisdictions in which the NASW RRG Plan Administrator is properly licensed. Coverage is only available in the 50 United States, the District of Columbia, and the U.S. Virgin Islands.

  1. How do I take out a group/corporate/non-profit policy?
    Currently, organizations that provide outpatient clinical social work services may submit applications online or by mail. Processing time for these policies is three business days. Group/corporate/non-profit policies cover the named corporation and any employees who practice under the umbrella of the corporation. At least one person must be listed as owner/partner/principal in order to take out a business policy.

  2. What if I am incorporated and the only employee of my corporation? Can I cover both under one policy?
    Yes—if your professional practice is incorporated, you can take out a corporate policy even if you are the only employee. You would submit the small group or agency application, and include only yourself as the owner/partner/principal. If you are currently insured under an individual policy, you do not need to take out a second policy. You may instead upgrade your current policy to corporate status.

  3. Can I cover my administrative staff?
    If you have a group/corporate/non-profit policy, administrative staff is covered automatically. If you have an individual policy, you cannot cover your administrative staff.

    Note: Patient intake personnel are not considered to be administrative staff. A premium will be charged for each person providing patient intake.

  4. What is a retroactive date? Does my policy have one?
    Policies written on a claims-made basis contain a specific date on which coverage begins (commonly known as the retroactive date). The retroactive date is listed on your policy declarations page.

  5. Does this policy cover online therapy (also called e-therapy or Internet therapy)?
    Yes - provided such practice is authorized or allowable under the scope of your license in the state where you practice, and provided you are performing such services lawfully. Contact your state licensing board if you are unsure.

  1. Can I submit my application online?
    Yes, you may apply online. Full payment is required in the form of Visa, MasterCard, Discover, or American Express. You must also provide a valid email address where we can send your documents.

    Currently, applications for business entities (groups/corporations/non-profit organizations) will be underwritten within three business days, and you will receive an email notice so you can make your selections online and pay for your policy. Once your payment is processed, you will receive a confirmation email with all policy documents.

  2. Can I apply over the phone?
    Yes, we can assist with your application process via phone.

  3. How do I know when I am covered?
    Our online applications for individuals will provide a confirmation page with links to your documents as soon as the form is accepted. In addition, the documents are automatically emailed to you.

    Once paper applications are received in our office, it takes three business days for them to be underwritten and processed. Depending on which method of receipt you have chosen, proof of coverage is emailed to you when your application is processed.

    You can also pull up copies of your most current policy documents at any time from our website. Just navigate to the “Customer Service” page, and click “Manage Your Policy.”

  4. Can I apply by mail?
    Yes, you can use our printable applications to apply by mail. When applying by mail, the preferred method of payment is check or money order. Follow the instructions to select the correct application, then download and print it. Our mailing address is included on the form.

  5. What is the security method of payment for the transmission of payment data?
    The NASW RRG Member Insurance Program online pay secures your personal information from unauthorized access, use, or disclosure. It secures the personal identifying information you provide on computer servers in a controlled, secure environment, protected from unauthorized access, use, or disclosure. When personal information (such as a credit card number) is transmitted to other websites, it is protected through the use of encryption, such as the Secure Socket Layer (SSL) protocol.

    For risk management and processing certain types of follow-up transactions (for example, recurring bills or refunds), our credit card vendor, Authorize.Net®, will store customer payment information in a highly secured database for a limited period of time. However, all sensitive or personal identifying insured information that is stored by Authorize.Net® will be masked in the Merchant Interface and in merchant reporting. Additionally, in order to maintain compliance with credit card security compliance programs, internal access to insured information is highly restricted. Once insured payment information has been stored for 120 days (from the date it was originally received), Authorize.Net® purges the full information and stores only masked information.

  1. When do I have to pay?
    All applicants must provide payment in full to receive policy coverage and documents at the time of enrollment. Payments can be made online or over the phone via Visa, MasterCard, Discover, or American Express; or via mail by check or money order.

    Once we receive payment, policy documents will be issued.

  2. When can my coverage become effective?
    New applicants may request an effective date as early as the date the application is received in our office, and up to 75 days afterward. Effective dates cannot be backdated. If you do not select a desired effective date, we will default to the date the application was received.

    Renewals become effective the date the current policy expires. Customers may renew no earlier than 120 days prior to their expiration date.

  3. What is an Additional Insured?
    An additional insured is usually your landlord (someone you hold a lease with), an employer, board members, or an agency you contract with. Adding them to your policy gives that entity protection under your policy. The limits will be used in the event they are sued for a professional incident that arises from services you provide while under contract with them.

    Note: A business partner, employee, sub lessor, intern you are supervising, or corporation you own cannot be added as additional insureds. These cases may require each individual to take out their own coverage, or that a group/corporate policy be started. In no way will the policy cover professional incidents that arise out of acts, errors, or omissions made by the additional insured entity.

  4. Do you need the address of every place I currently practice?
    For professional liability coverage, we only keep your mailing address on file. Your professional liability coverage is portable, meaning you are covered for practice no matter what physical address you use for counseling—provided you are practicing under the scope of your licensure and within the U.S.

  1. I am already insured with the NASW RRG. How can I renew my policy next year?
    You can save time by renewing online. Individuals may renew online up to 90 days prior to the policy expiration date.

  2. I am already insured with the NASW RRG, but the type of policy I need has changed. Do I need to fill out a new application and take out a new policy?
    In most cases, you will not need to fill out a new application or take out a new policy. Usually, you can change your policy to fit your updated needs. If you fill out a new application instead of upgrading, you may actually overpay for your policy, or end up with duplicate coverage. Instead, send us a request in writing to change your policy (see the next question for more detailed information).

  3. I want to change my mailing address, phone number, or email address. Can I do this online instead of submitting a written request?
    Yes, you can change this information online by navigating to the “Customer Service” tab at the top of the page. You will need to provide your policy number and customer ID. Once your record has been pulled up, you may make and submit your changes. Please remember that your coverage is portable, so the address we keep on file is a mailing address only. You do not need to inform us each time you change the location of your practice, unless you would like your mailing address to change as well.

    If you make a change to your mailing address via phone, we will send you an endorsement within the next week that amends the policy.

  4. What happens once I submit a request to make a change via email or phone?
    Changes will be processed within five to seven days, and you will receive your updated policy endorsement after we receive your payment (if additional premium is required).

  1. I am not getting sued, but have legal questions regarding a situation with an existing client. Who can I speak with to help prevent a claim situation from occurring?
    We recommend you first call NASW, your professional association. NASW has legal and professional staff available to you, and can provide legal and ethical guidance, as well as share valuable and practical experience they have gathered from other members who may have experienced a similar situation. Do not underestimate the value of your professional association as a practical resource and advocate on your behalf.

  2. My managed care company is requesting claims history verification. Who should this request be directed to?
    Requests for claims history should be directed to:

    Western Litigation, Inc.
    c/o Alma Garcia

    9821 Katy Freeway, Suite 600
    Houston, TX 77024
    F: 713-935-2479
  1. I have received notice of a claim or lawsuit against me, a subpoena, a summons, or another complaint that might result in a claim against me. What should I do?
    To report a claim, you must download, print, and fill out an initial incident report, then immediately scan and email it to The form is available for download on the “Customer Service” page under “Resources.” You may also call our office at 888.278.0038, and request that it be emailed, faxed, or mailed to you.